Monday, March 3, 2014

Mandala Sun Catchers


I developed a love for mactac and pressed flowers when I was a girl. I have fond memories of being given a box of pressed flowers, some plain paper and mactac to create cards with. I think I still may even have a couple of those cards hidden away as keepsakes from my childhood. 
I thought it might be fun to do something similar with my girls. This past summer we collected and pressed flowers from our garden and in the wild. We thought it would be so nice to have these flower faces smiling at us in the window! It was such a treat to pull them out now and admire them in the midst of (this never ending!) winter. We really enjoyed playing with these flowers and creating pressed flower mandala sun catchers! 
They are simple to create.
Here is a quick how to...

To make you will need
mactac (also known as clear contact paper)
embroidery hoop
pressed flowers
suction cup for hanging

To begin...

Cut out two squares of mactac a little bigger than your frame.


Decide on your layout for your sun catcher.


Peel the backing off one of your mactac squares and secure (sticky side up) in your embroidery hoop.


Gently place your pattern of flowers onto the mactac .


When your design is complete, carefully remove it from the frame.


Peel the backing off your other square of mactac and press it on top of your design. 


 Place it back into the hoop.


 Cut off the edges around the hoop.


 Hang in your window to enjoy!!


Wishing you all...


abundant beauty in this day...


 and always!


Only 17 days until spring! The count down is on. Hopefully these flowers will tide us over until the fresh ones pop up their sweet faces!

In sunshine and flowers,

Shanti

23 comments:

  1. Lovely! Would love to try this :) Where do you find Mactac? I did a search online but did not really come up with a source to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was feeling a little flower deprived :). I found the mactac by the roll at a "dollar store" type place. They had it in the kitchen section as something to line drawers with. I hope that helps. I'd love to see what creations take place. Perhaps you could share your finished sun catcher on our fb page!

      Delete
    2. I also had a hard time locating it online, but from what I see in the pictures, I think we call the same thing clear contact paper. A beautiful project, thank you for sharing@

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I knew there was another name for it but couldn't seem to remember what it was called! This should make it easier for folks to find.

      Delete
    4. Wal-Mart and craft stores sell clear contact paper (mactac).

      Delete
  2. Love love love these...a great idea, just in time for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, though we already have the flowers of the freshly growing variety here in Houston. I might have to venture out soon to collect some early flowers to dry for later in the year. I do love how these look in your windows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to do with dried flowers, especially this time of the year when we can't wait to see green again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls are going to love these. We should be able to start pressing flowers soon here in Texas, so we'll be sure to try that this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous I will try to remember to press some flowers this year so I can make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely and making me want Spring to hurry up! Thanks so much for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these so much. I've been looking for ways to do a mandala project with our first graders for a special event. This could be perfect. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful. I'm pinning these for our summer bucket list. Thanks for sharing at the After School Party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you explained mactac .... I'd never heard of that before!

    These turned out so gorgeous!

    Thanks for linking up at The Thoughtful Spot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great idea! I am featuring it at this week's link party! http://www.thelifeofjenniferdawn.com/2014/03/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-82.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely idea!

    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a Canadian who's married to an American. Here in Canada, we call it MacTac. When I met my American spouse, that name got me a very blank look... that's when I realized that it's called contact paper in the US. Similar experience with what we Canadians call a Garburator... it's a garbage disposal (the kind that you put food waste into in the sink) by Americans. My honey thought I'd made the name up until other Canadians (from several parts of this country!) used the same word... it's definitely a Canadian thing!!! LOVE these Mandala Sun Catchers, BTW!!! Can't wait til we see flowers coming up through the snow sometime in April again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous! I'm going to pick up some embroidery hoops to do this for the classroom today!
    Thanks for the wonderful idea, we pressed so many flowers on Valentine's day, this will be perfect for them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this!! You can make different ones for spring and fall! cant wait to try this when my little one gets bigger! Thank you for the post!
    http://www.attachedtothemilligans.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. mais c'est sublime!!!!
    merci pour les explications, et à bientôt pour vous lire avec plaisir
    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails