Saturday, March 12, 2011

St Patrick Peg Person!


Here's another easy little peg doll craft just in time for St Patricks day...a wee peg
St Patrick!

You will need:
wool felt, (white, green & brown)
wee bit o roving
embroidery floss & needle
glue
wooden peg dolls


One day I'll learn how to make a printable PDF file, in the meantime though, here is a sample of his outfit.
Try making your pieces on paper, and play with the sizing, then transfer to the felt.
(cut out 2 pieces for the hat and staff)


First I sewed on his "tube" with snake on the bottom...I know on many of the religious statues I see of St Patrick, (I have one in my porch), there is a snake as his feet...you don't have to add the snake...leave it blank, or add a clover or two. 
Next I sewed up his robe and attached it to his body..


Add a roving beard, (glue it on), and then his "hat"...I decided that he needed a little shamrock on his hat...now he really looks like St Patrick!

I sewed up his "staff" too, but didn't attach it to his body...I just lean it up against him on the nature table where St Patrick currently resides, (whien he's not being played with of course).


And of course, there is nothing that says St Paddys day more than Irish music...time to dust off the ol accordion...

"I've been a wild rover for many a year...
and I spend all me money on whiskey and beer..."


I want you to check out Little Acorn Learning...they have a free e-book called "Rainbows, Creating colors"
Go and download it for free...it's full of great ideas that you can bring to your St Patricks celebration next week...of course Little Acorn also has other learning guides you can purchase...I've gotten a few and I can honestly say they're a wonderful addition to our homeschool week!


May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.
~Irish Blessing

xo maureen


17 comments:

  1. Maybe we should have an Irish session next week...bring your accordion on over! We can do a rousing rendition of "The Unicorn" and "Wild Rover"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. Here's a joke my dad would tell this time of year...
    "What kind of shoes did they name after St. Patrick? Snakers!" then we would groan!
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. Patrick is adorable! We'll need one of these! My two younger sons love playing with peg people that we make... Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are full of ideas and energy my friend! I love this!!! He is a cute little magic man!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your pet people. I'm curious. Have you ever done a peg nativity? That would be really cool. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh how CUTE!!! I love the blanket stitching! Have a Happy St. Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to learn to play accordion. Will you teach me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely Maureen, you are so creative, a true inspiration:)
    xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can hear you gettin your accordian groove on :)x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never knew St. Patrick could be so cute!! I love it! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you ladies...
    Mrs Bloom...I would teach you accordion anytime, (although I have to admit I pull the darn thing out much less these days). Just imagine...peg people making, accordion lessons, and many many cups of tea & combined with crazy laughter!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to let you know I included this post in my "Weekend Round-Up" here:
    http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/weekend-round-up/weekend-round-up-7/

    It's so nice to see a St. Patrick's Day idea that actually features St. Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful St. Patrick! But what I really REALLY love is the photo of you playing the accordian!!!! You are simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your article on St Patricks Day was very informative and well written, thanks for sharing this information. St Patricks day celebrations

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails