Friday, November 26, 2010

Advent Sticks...

Many years ago while perusing the internet for great Advent ideas, I came across the "Advent Stick".  I don't remember the original source, but the idea was to gather friends and gifts and create an advent stick together.  I put the idea out there and gathered up some of my crafty friends, (some folks have dropped out and some have stayed.).   This will be our 4th year we're still crafting these sticks together.  It is a tradition that we all love and that our children look forward to.  Every year you smile as these treasures come out of the Christmas box, and some are just so much fun they stay out year round!


Each friend crafts 5 items times 5 people.  We always give people an "out" if life gets too busy...up to 2 items can be store bought, or a food treat.  Here are my contributions for this year...it's a little "set" of Christmas gnomes gathering around a fire.   I got the great idea for the fire pit from woman wife momma.  The gnomes were made using the pattern from Wee Folk Art.




Here's a close up of the back of their capes...I simply cut out some holly leaves and berries and glue gunned them on...I must say, they do look rather festive!

We were supposed to put our sticks together last night, but hailing ice pellets got in the way of our fun.  My friend over at Wabi Sabi Wanderings posted a picture of last years stick, (we were hoping to do a rainbow stick this year, but may just have to settle for getting the darn thing together.
Other participating friends are
the Knitty Gritty HomesteadEmbracing the Now, and of course my lovely co-blogger Shanti!

This is another fabulous way to get your crafting community to come together in the JOY of creativity!
Now off to gather the other folks contributions and get this stick together!  Hope to post some pictures of the finished product after the weekend!
xo maureen

ps...don't forget about our fabulous giveaway!  You can win a lovely little gnome house with gnome and a peacock blue playsilk.  The giveaway closes on Tuesday Nov 30th.  You can enter once daily.  Please just tell us what your favourite item in our shop is.  We're also offering 15% off of everything in our store until December 8th.  Just type in the discount code "toadstool"!
Good luck to all who enter.  

9 comments:

  1. Oh my - I LOVE the set! We (yes, me included) are going to have a BLAST playing with it. I'm also having a D'Oh! moment as I read that you glue-gunned the cape embellishments on. That would be a heck of alot quicker than sewing them on, as I've done in the past. Sometimes *quicker* and *easier* are a better fit in my life.

    And, yes, I treasure how the Advent Stick tradition is steeped with the gift of community and friendship.

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just received my order! Love, love love it all!!!! The little teapot, the place settings, the santa, old man winter, paints, oooh la la. My little preschool students are going to love these treats! I wanted everything in your shop. I figured I will chip away at it. A little here and a little more later, and so on and so on. You also were so sweet with little personalized touches here and there. Thank you so much. You made me feel special while we have never met.
    I really love the festival stars! Wishing you much love and goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...absolutely adore the advent gnomes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the way you have made the fire. I will have to do that for our winter nature table (spring almost summer here).

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful little advent gnomes, what a wonderful advent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome really a nice design from you,
    cinema hd for samsung tv

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the best share and i loved it, 192.168.o.1

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails