Monday, October 4, 2010

Piecing together Peace...month one!

This is really my foot...walking on the old rail trail nearby!

"People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle.  But I think the real miracle is not to walk on either water or in thin air, but to walk on earth.  Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize; a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the curious eyes of a child--our own two eyes.  All is a miracle."
-Thich Nhat Hanh

Starting 10-10-10 some adventurous souls are walking for peace through the heart of the USofA.  It is officially called the 13 Moon Walk 4 Peace...it will last until 11-11-11.  I'm a busy mom up here in neighbouring Canada, so I won't be taking part in this walk, but I have decided that I can at least participate vicariously and make a monthly intention.  The beautiful ladies over at threading light came up with this challenge for those of us who can't participate in the walk.  My hope is that by doing this I will inspire peace within my own family, and that peace will radiate out into our community and perhaps farther still....perhaps it will inspire YOU to make your own intention for peace.

For October I've decided that I want to walk with intention!  Sounds so simple, and yet days and days go by without getting out for an intentional walk.  You know what it's like...with all the homelearning, cooking, cleaning, and playing that gets done in a day, a walk becomes just one more thing to do.
When I walk I want to notice my surroundings...really look at those hills that surround me.  I want to breathe deeply and admire this physical body of mine...it carries me forward step by step, breath by breath.  I've noticed lately this feeling of low energy about me, the bags under my eyes, it seems my body is begging me..."please take me for a walk!"

So...for October I WILL be walking...
one step, one breath at a time.

To see other October intentions please go here


in peace
xo maureen



11 comments:

  1. Maureen, I love your intention and the quote you shared from Thich Nhat Hanh. I've been walking a lot more lately and it does feel great to be out and connected. I hope you'll bring your camera along too. Love your banner!
    Love and blessings~
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! and it is such a wonderfully crisp time of year for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm steaking this one for next month! :) Just kiddin. Great idea though....specific, and doable.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quickly scanned your post this morning before heading out on our routine walk of the morning with my little pals. Walk...coffee....park. We do this everyday. Since we live in the city, I sometimes lament that there is just the same old stuff to see everyday. But, with the subject of your post in my head, I made a point to look down...and we saw a beautiful woolly bear caterpillar on his march to find his winter home. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our home here in Canada is a beautiful place to walk and breathe with Intention.... lovely inspired blessings to you while you do this.... enjoy....
    light and love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your making this your own:-) You have a beautiful country to walk in too! I was at a conference this weekend and enjoyed meeting a large number of teens from Quebec down for the Red Sox game. My French is rusty:-( but we managed....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely intention. Walking with intention offers a much different perspective than just "getting out for a walk." Can't wait to hear about your experience. I'm in Canada too - we live in the most beautiful country. xo -Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yey, walking! I used to dread walking anywhere, but since I've been forced to walk 8 miles everyday, I've come to absolutely LOVE it!

    Forced? You may ask.. well.. My oldest daughter started school last year (homeschool is illegal overhere!) and soon after that my youngest was born. Now, I don't have a driver's license and riding a bike with a newborn is just impossible!

    So that meant walking my daughter to and from school 4 times a day. The school is located about 2 miles from here, so count it out.. 8 miles a day! Now that my youngest is 'old' enough to be put in a front-seat on a bike, I sometimes use it (especially when it rains!) but I find that eventhough it takes a WHOLE lot longer, walking is just sooooo much better!

    The main reason is that when walking, you pay attention to the surroundings. You're able to do that. Looking inside homes to see family tables and fall decorations.. noticing lovely spiderwebs in people's yards.. When I'm riding a bike all I see is "Is this car stopping for me or do I need to use my brakes?" .. very stressful!

    Three times hurray for walking! :D

    Greetings from the Netherlands :)
    (Bike country #1, *lol*)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda...that's awesome! I wish I had a good excuse to exercise more. Where I live we are on a hill, surrounded by hills, and at the bottom of the hills is a highway...not bike friendly at all!
    Thank you to everyone for the encouragement.
    Crooked Moon Mama...perhaps we could swap ideas...I LOVE your idea of driving with intention! :)
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful and such a great intention. I love the quote you included too. I find so much inspiration in that wise soul. May we find peace in each step.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails